Sunday, August 28, 2005

pen prose

this was originally posted as a comment in Vivaglam's blog:

I also have this affinity for nice pens, but not at the Mont Blanc level. I remembered the first good pen I treasured was the Macky parker pen. Oh sure, everyone in the pilot class had one, but it was better than those P5 Uni-Mitsubishi-CSA pens they sold at the bookstore. That is, until I found out that each Parker refill would cost around P60, at that time a hefty sum that would strain a P50-P70 daily HS allowance. I checked with Office Warehouse this week and it's now up to P120.

Still, I yearned for the day I could get a personalized Parker pen (vanity the primary consideration). I tried to have the Macky Parker pen engraved, only to be turned down by the National people (you have to buy the pen from them first). Due to plain stubborness, I kept on asking them intermittently for about two years. Finally, I saved enough for my own all-silver Parker pen, complete with inscription! Unfortunately, all-silver Parker pens are less sturdier than their mestizo counterparts, so this pen conked out in less than six months (the clicking mechanism got jammed).

So now, although I still have around two or three engraved good pens (given as gifts over time), I prefer a Panda pen, since one Panda has always lasted me for months, if not years (unless it gets lost). I would prefer the clicking Panda, since I seem to have acquired from Macky that annoying pen clicking habit.

3 comments:

Bambi said...

i used to looove panda ballpens wayy back in high school. kaso lang bad trip na now, lagi sumasablay. now im sticking to micro 0.25 mm pens. the pointiest pens for my pointy handwriting.

i do have a cross ballpen that needs to be refilled although naiinis ako kasi ambigat nya. i prefer for personalized means a froo-froo boa pen. dito sa tate ang bibilog ng pens nila i had to smuggle my local micro pens from manila.

number cruncher said...

i think my uni laknock works fine, basta i want the clicky-button pa rin! :P

VivaGlam! said...

I still owe you a vivaglamorous pen for your birthday. =)