Friday, July 15, 2005

challenging chess choices

despite appearances, i suck in playing chess. that's because i get overwhelmed with all the thinking involved so that my mind shuts down. consider this scenario:

it's my eleventh move in the game, with the pieces generally astrew throughout the board. i look at the pieces. this is what's on my mind:

do i move the knight forward?
do i retreat the knight?
shall i make my pawn eat his bishop?
if i eat his bishop, my pawn will be eaten by his knight, then i'll be exposing my queen
if i expose my queen, will i be able to avoid the onslaught?
do i castle my king?
will i be constricting my king too much?
will my rook be able to move more freely?
won't i be exposing my rook?
should i move the bishop to the king's row?
won't there be a surprise waiting there, i.e. my bishop will be eaten there?
will my bishop be trapped and be rendered useless for the rest of the game?
should i position my pawn in the middle, because it's a strategic spot?
what will my pawn do there once that happens?

while i'm going through all these scenarios, i get confused and interchange one scenario for another. as a result, i just take the first instinct (move the knight forward).

meanwhile, my opponent, because he's focused and has a less cluttered mind, would know what to do & have one or two backup plans. and he wins.

of course there are times i can be impulsive, but rarely on things that need a semblance of thinking. i could take hours trying to make sense of the thought processes involved at work, in determining which route to take on a trip, or even analyzing a friend's current situation. i think too damned much.

i moved the pawn now, should i move it back?
if i move it back, won't my king be exposed again?
shall my rook eat the knight now?
if i wait too long, won't the other guy's pawn become queen?

then, i get checkmated.

2 comments:

categorically imperative said...

ponyeta, ginawa kong PE yang chess...tatlo kami sa team, lahat kami di marunong! feeling ko ang tanga-tanga ko when i play chess!

Bambi said...

PE for chess? anong PE yan? i had street dance cum hiphop and it was soo cool!!!! i wanted to take jazz for the next sem but i had 5 units of biochem, 4 units of physics, 5 units of anatomy, and 5 units of plant taxonomy = i.e. career in lab courses.

i cant play chess, not even wizard's chess. you think too hard for it. ah i wish P.E. classes were just the nicey ones like bellydancing, pilates, or cardiostrip tease, or maybe wall climbing or water wave surfing!